(VER) is a narrow gague heritage railway that runs along a length of the seafront of the English seaside resort of Brighton. It was built by Magnus Volk, the first section being completed in August 1883, and is the oldest operating electric railway in the world. Although it was preceded by Wener Von Siemen’s 1879 demonstration line in Berlin and by the Gross-Lichterfelde of 1881, neither line is still operational.
Operated as a historical seafront tourist attraction and today the line runs between terminal stations at Aquarium(a short distance from the Palace Pier) and Black Rock (at Black Rock, not far from Brighton Marina), with an intermediate station and depot at Paston Place (now known as Halfway). The line has a 2 ft 8 1⁄2 in (825 mm) narrow gauge, is electrified at 110 V DC using a third rail, and is one mile long.